Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Hidden Fortress

I am now down to 28 items on my 30x30, with exactly 2 years 364 days to go. This afternoon I took the afternoon off, picked up some sushi and watched Hidden Fortress. Which was an excellent movie, and makes me feel good about my choice in adding it to my list.

I always tout myself as an Akira Kurosawa fan, and I am. Though until today, I have only seen The Seven Samurai. So it was a little like saying I was a fan of the Verve Pipe, because I liked, The Freshman. Now I can officailly say I stand soundly in the Kurosawa camp. The movie was outstanding.

I won't give you a full play by play, I would prefer that you watch it for yourself, but I will give a basic summary.

The story revolves around two peasents (these two were the inspiration for R2-D2 and C-3PO in Star Wars). They arive late to a battle between two "states". Their side wins, but they are mistaken for the enemy. This all takes place before the opening seen, and is discussed during the opening sequence. Eventually the two end up trying to make their way back to their home "state". They stumble upon the hidden fortress and become part of a collection of people trying to evade capture.

The interaction between the two pesants is priceless. I would watch the movie again just to watch the two of them argue again.

At the end of the day, I highly recomend this movie to anyone.

No comments: