Saturday, October 4, 2008

Brewers

I have been a Milwaukee Brewers fan for a long time. To be honest I am not sure where I get it from. Other than my Grandma, I don't really know of any adult in my adolescence that liked the Brewers. Regardless of how it came to be, it did.

I remember going to County Stadium as a Cub Scout, and yelling until I could not yell anymore. One game was in early April. It was freezing out, probably in the mid to low 40's. In one of the first innings, the guy behind me spilt his beer all over my feet. The Brewers won though, which is all that mattered.

I remember listening to games on the radio and writing down the lineups so when I would play baseball in the yard the next day, I could pretend that I was on the team. Paul Molitor was my hero. I still have his poster in my basement. I haven't put it up since the day he left the Brewers and signed with the Toronto Blue Jays. I couldn't believe that he left, but he did. I remember watching Robin Yount, Jim Gantner, Pat Listach, Teddy Huigera, Chris Bosio, Gary Shefiled, Rob Deer, among others. I remember watching young players develop and get traded away. I remember losing seasons, a lot of losing seasons.

Tomorrow I get to go to Miller Park, and see my Milwaukee Brewers play in the playoffs. Before I go further I have to thank my wonderful wife for letting me go. Sophia will be one week old, and Mandy will be going it alone (aside from Trevor, who may be help or may cause more problems) for the day. I know it seems silly, but this is one of the best things she has ever done for me.

Tomorrow that boy listening to Brewer games on the radio, gets to go see Brewers Playoff baseball.

GO Brewers!!

No comments: