Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Open Letter to the Charelston Mississippi School District

To be honest with you, this letter originally took a much harsher and meaner tone. Since I know nothing more than what I have read in two articles. I will reserve my venom for another time.

I still want to let you know that I am astounded that after your were told to integrate your schools in 1970, that it took you until 2008 to integrate your prom. Now I don't know whose decision it was not to integrate, and after a while, maybe it just became an excepted part of what took place at your schools. Needless to say, it is very disapointing to hear that this type of segregation still goes on in school districts in our country.

It saddens me to think that both white and black students and parents would rather have segregated proms, than hold one prom together. It makes me sad to read that even after you integrated your Prom, a whites only Prom was still held, and that it may be held again next year.

I will applaud you for finally making the right decision. I hope that this will lead to a higher level of acceptance that it is apparent your community is in dire need of.

Respectfully,
Eric Powers

No comments: