Saturday, January 17, 2009

Diplomacy

I've been suckered into playing an online game of Diplomacy with some people that I work with.

For those of you that do not know how Diplomacy is played, here is a quick run down.

The game takes place in Europe circa 1901. The game board has seven countries, England, France, Germany, Russia, Italy, Austria, and Turkey. Each player is randomly assigned a country. The goal of the game is to take over 18 supply centers(the map is split up into territories, some of the territories are considered supply centers). The game is somewhat like RISK, except that dice are not involved. You win a territory by taking it over with more force. I attack a territory, and have someone that I have allied with support me with an army of theirs. Two against one, I win that territory.

Since you have to align yourselves with other countries for help, a lot more strategy goes into the game, and a lot more trust.

The one problem is that each move takes 48 hours. While it gives you plenty of time to strategize with others, if you have a gameplan, it just drags everything out. Though they do have a message board to each of the other countries which allows you to strategize, which is nice. Since we all work together, it allows me to talk with others, without having to actually talk to them.

I am playing as England, and have my sights set on Germany. We will see how it goes.

No comments: