Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How I almost got picked up for child abduction.

Well not really, but that is how my thought process went. This morning on the way to work, I saw a kid walking to school in the freezing rain. He was soaking wet, looked like he was going to catch his death, and had a good distance yet to go. I thought about pulling over and seeing if he would like a ride the rest of the way to work. Than I thought better of it.

I wasn't sure that a stranger in a SUV, trying to talk a kid into getting into his vehicle would go over that well. I might have been a savior to the kid, but the risk wasn't worth it. When it came down to it, the facts of the case would be that I tried to lure a kid into my car. Regardless of how I defended my actions in this day and age, I would come off as the creepy guy. "He seemed like such a nice guy", they would say. "We had no idea he abducted children."

It wouldn't help that I am a Cubmaster of my son's cub scout pack. It would only add fuel to the fire.

So sorry soaking wet kid. Blame all of the crazies for having to walk in the rain.

No comments: