Thursday, July 3, 2008

Olympic Trials

For those of you who don't know already, I am a sucker for the mile or any middle distance race for that matter. Tonight is the semifinal heats of the 1500 at the US olympic trials. The race is ripe with story lines. Will Benard Lagat qualify in the 5000 and the 1500, will Alan Webb live up to his potential, will Gabe Jennings come back to qualify? Since the trials are taking place in OR, coverage does not start until 10 PM CST. So it will be a late night of track and field watching.

The 1500 finals is the last event of the trials. Fitting for a town where Steve Prefontaine ran.

Though as much as I am looking forward to watching the trials coverage. I am more excited for the olympics. I remember sitting on my parents bed watching the Olympics in Seoul in '88. I love the thought of competing for something as big as your country. To stand on a podium while they play your national anthem, has to be an amazing thing to experience.

No comments: