Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Spirit

They say that Christmas is the season of giving. Which is why I decided to stand up on a soap box for this blog and tell everyone to try and support those less fortunate during this holiday season.

(Stands on Soap Box)

This morning on my day off, I went over to our companies Airplane Hangar, loaded up my car with groceries and toys, and made deliveries to those in my area that need some help this Christmas. My company is heavily involved in Operation Bootstrap, that around this time of year, collects basic food items, food for a Christmas meal, and gifts for the kids and has them delivered. Between today and tomorrow over 200 families in the area will receive what they need to have a good Christmas.

Three of the last four years I have helped. Typically I work in the hangar and load cars with the boxes of food to be delivered. This year, since I had the day off today, I decided to bundle up Sophia, and with a friend of mine, make deliveries. With just a donation of my time, I helped make someones Christmas a happy time of year. At one of the houses there was a boy, maybe 3. When we brought the gifts in (they come in black garbage bags so the kids don't see it is toys) he asked his dad why we were bringing in garbage. He will wake up Christmas morning, and have items under the tree to open. He will be excited to see what Santa brought, and his parents will know that while times may be tough for them. There truly are "Santa's" that are helping keep that youthful excitement alive, while they use what money they have to pay the bills, and put food on the table. They won't have to try and explain why Santa didn't come this year.

I encourage those of you that I know, and those of you that have somehow stumbled across my little blog, to if possible take some time to help others. It may be to late to help out this year, but keep your eye open for ways to give back. Maybe it is some change to the Salvation Army, a gift for Toys to Tots, or a gift off of a giving tree.

I delivered items to houses I drive by everyday. You never know who needs a helping hand. You never know when you may need a hand yourself.

From a couple dollars to a couple of hours, please do what you can this Christmas, and the Christmas's to come, to keep the Christmas spirit alive.

(steps off of soap box)

Thanks

No comments: